In this post, I’d like to collect the best programming application for kids to learn how to code. These applications are widely used in schools in the United States. If you observe any other programs, please suggest in the ‘Comments’ and I will add them to the list.
Scratch is part of the core curriculum at my kids’ school in the United States. It’s built by MIT. Kids can have lots of fun with Scratch and the tool is very accessible. Scratch also features a built-in kid-friendly social network that allows everyone to share and reuse projects. Here are some books about Scratch.
- Scratch Programming in easy steps
- Learn to Program with Scratch: A Visual Introduction to Programming with Games, Art, Science, and Math
- Fun with Scratch: Learning should be fun (Scratch Programming)
Kodu lets kids create games on the PC and Xbox via a simple visual programming language. Kodu can be used to teach creativity, problem solving, storytelling, as well as programming. Anyone can use Kodu to make a game, young children as well as adults with no design or programming skills. Teachers love how the visual programming style and debugging techniques are introduced in Kudo! Schools are doing some amazing things with Kodu and the new computing curriculum. Read more about Kodu School in UK. Here is an amazing list of Kudo learning resources.
Tynker Online is an end-to-end solution to easily and successfully teach kids how to code, as they create games and animated projects. When kids get started with Tynker, they’ll
- Learn to code using Tynker’s own visual programming language, featuring visual drag-n-drop logic blocks that eliminate the need to understand programming syntax.
- Learn on their own with self-paced lessons and interactive tutorials are designed to build early confidence with programming, while guiding and inspiring them to advance their skills.
- Get lifetime access to Tynker’s powerful yet easy-to-use Creativity Suite – including animation tools, art studio, visual programming tools, and a rich media library– engages kids’ creativity, and supports open ended opportunities for creating games and projects beyond the course.
Project Spark is a powerful, yet simple way to build and play your own worlds, stories and games. Your kids will experience the ultimate interactive playground, delivered as a free digital download with many options for enhancing your creative experience.