Early this year, Microsoft Research Asia (MSRA) conducted a user study among millions of smart phone users in China. The purpose is to understand how they user the ‘Voice’ function in the smart phone.
1. User of Voice in Smart Phone
46% of consumers use voice to send voice message in chat applications such as QQ and wechat – the two dominating chat applications in China.
26% of consumers would use voice to command personal assistants such as Baidu Yuyin – similar to Apple Siri and Microsoft Cortana.
Only 5% of consumers would use voice search.
2. Top Voice Search providers in China
- Baidu – www.baidu.com
- Haosou – www.haosou.com
- Sogou/Soso – www.sogou.com / www.soso.com
- Google – www.google.com
- Bing – www.bing.com
3. Top Personal Assistant providers in China
- Baidu Yuyin – http://yuyin.baidu.com/
- 360iii – http://m.assistant.360iii.com/
- Sogou Yuyin – http://yy.sogou.com/
- YY Voice – http://www.yyvoice.net
- Siri – https://www.apple.com/ios/siri/
- Xiaomi Zhushou – http://zhushou.xiaomi.com/
- Google Now – https://www.google.com/landing/now/
- Cortana – http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-what-is-cortana
4. Concerns about Using Voice in Smart Phone